On October 17, at the age of 88, LCol (Ret'd) Ron Gladstone passed away at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital.
Ron began his work life as a member of the Royal Air Force where he served in Malaya. Afterwards, he started off his long career in policing with the London Metropolitan Police from which he retired as a Detective Constable in the New Scotland Yard. In 1955, Ron left the United Kingdom to join the Royal Canadian Air Force Military Police where he served for 28 years retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel. Afterwards, Ron served as the Deputy Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod for the Canadian Senate.
In his personal life, Ron was an avid storyteller with a quick-wit and an unbeatable memory. You could often find him volunteering to help where needed, reciting old poems, or sneaking copious amounts of human food to his beloved pets.
Ron is survived by his wife, Esther, children, Keith and Janet, grand-children, Ben and Amber, Doug and Jamie, Trista, Stephanie and Ryan, and Nicole, great-grand-children, Della and Finley, and sister, Audrey.
Ron was an active member of the Air Force Association of Canada, the United Services Institute, and the Freemasonry. Ron lived a full life and will be sadly missed by his family and friends.
As an expression of sympathy, donations may be made in his memory to: The Nanaimo & District Branch of the BC SPCA, 154 Westwood Road, Nanaimo, B.C., V9R 0G9,www.spca.bc.ca.
1. ON 04 NOVEMBER 2016, AFTER MORE THAN 31 YEARS OF SERVICE SGT COLIN DUNN WILL RELEASE FROM THE CANADIAN ARMED FORCES AND THE MILITARY POLICE BRANCH.
2. COLIN ENROLLED AS A CREWMAN WITH THE STRATHCONAS IN 1985 AND RE-MUSTERED TO THE MILITARY POLICE IN 2002. DURING HIS CAREER HE COMPLETED A NUMBER OF INTERNATIONAL DEPLOYMENTS, INCLUDING CYPRUS IN 1993, BOSNIA IN 1996; TF KOSOVO IN 1999/2000; AND THE UNITED ARAB EMIRATES 2002/2003; HE ALSO SERVED 1 YEAR OUTCAN WITH MPSS AT THE CANADIAN EMBASSY IN KABUL FROM 2011 TO 2012.
3. COLIN WILL BE RETIRING TO HIS HOME IN KINGSTON, ONTARIO.
4. A DWD LUNCHEON WILL BE HELD WITH A LIMITED GROUP OF INVITEES AT THE BOAT HOUSE RESTURANT IN BELLEVILLE, ON, ON 04 NOVEMBER 2016 AT 1200 HRS. PLEASE FORWARD ANY WELL WISHES AND / OR ANECDOTES TO SGT ARMSTRONG AT firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. AFTER 28 PLUS YEARS OF LOYAL AND DEDICATED SERVICE TO THE MP BRANCH, THE CANADIAN FORCES AND HER COUNTRY, MWO DENISE BOLDUC WILL RETIRE ON 10 JAN 2017.
2. MWO BOLDUC JOINED THE CANADIAN FORCES ON IN AUG 1988 AND, UPON COMPLETION OF HER BASIC TRAINING IN SAINT-JEAN, QC AND HER MILITARY POLICE QL3 IN BORDEN, SHE WAS POSTED TO CFB EDMONTON, ALBERTA IN SEPTEMBER 1989. IN 1993, MWO BOLDUC WAS POSTED TO 4 WING SECURITY AND MILITARY POLICE COLD LAKE, ALBERTA. IN 1997, SHE WAS POSTED TO CANADIAN FORCES STATION MILITARY UNIT OTTAWA. WITH HER INTEREST TO INVESTIGATION AND UPON PROMOTION TO MASTER CORPORAL SHE WAS ASSIGNED TO THE INVESTIGATION CELL OF THE MP COY.
3. IN 2002 SHE WAS TRANSFERRED TO THE CANADIAN FORCES NATIONAL INVESTIGATION SERVICE IN CENTRAL REGION OTTAWA (CFNIS) WHERE SHE WAS PROMOTED TO THE RANK OF SGT IN 2003. IN 2004, MWO BOLDUC WAS POSTED TO CFNIS ATLANTIC REGION. IN 2008, MWO BOLDUC WAS POSTED TO CANADIAN FORCES SUPPORT UNIT OTTAWA (CFSU(O)) MILITARY POLICE SECTION WHERE SHE WAS EMPLOYED AS THE PATROL OPERATIONS WARRANT OFFICER. IN 2009, MWO BOLDUC WAS POSTED TO CHIEF MILITARY PERSONEL (CMP) AS the MILITARY POLICE CAREER MANAGER FOR JUNIOR MEMBERS. PROMOTED TO MWO IN 2011, SHE RETURNED TO CFNIS WHERE SHE WAS ASSIGNED AS THE QUALITY ASSURANCE FOR ALL CFNIS. IN 2012, AFTER SUCCESFULLY COMPLING THE AIR MARSHAL COURSE SHE WAS SELECTED AND POSTED TO THE CANADIAN FORCES AIR MARSHAL DETAIL AS THE DETAIL MWO. IN SEP 2013, SHE WAS POSTED TO MILITARY POLICE SERVICES GROUP (MP SVS GP). IN MAY 2014, SHE WAS POSTED TO IPSC OTTAWA.
4. MWO BOLDUC COMPLETED A TOUR IN NAIROBI, KENYA WHERE SHE ASSISTED WITH THE SOMALIA INVESTIGATION. SHE ALSO DEPLOYED TWICE TO AFGHANISTAN ROTO 4/0 OP ARCHER AND ROTO 4 OP ATHENA.
5. MWO BOLDUC WILL REMAIN IN OTTAWA AND CONTINUE TO WORK AT THE ORLEANS VETERINARY HOSPITAL.
6. AT HER REQUEST, THERE WILL BE NO FORMAL DEPART WITH DIGNITY FUNCTION, A RETIREMENT BOOK IS BEING PREPARED FOR MWO BOLDUC THEREFORE CONGRATULATORY MESSAGES ANECDOTES STORIES AND/OR PHOTOS ARE MUCH APPRECIATED AND SHOULD BE SENT TO SGT CORY SMITH AT Cory.Smith@forces.gc.ca OR CPO1 SYLVAIN BOLDUC AT Sylvain.Bolduc2@forces.gc.ca.
27 October 1977
The Military Police Fund for Blind Children is established as a registered Charitable Corporation.
The MPFBC was first informally established in 1957 by Army Provost Marshal Colonel James Riley Stone after his daughter Moira passed away from cancer of the eye. Throughout its history, this registered charity, which is run and managed entirely by MP volunteers, has raised thousands of dollars to provide assistance to visually impaired children.
SUBJECT: RETIREMENT OF MAJOR TERRY LANGS – MPO 00214
1. AFTER 36 YEARS AND 3 MONTHS OF LOYAL, DEDICATED AND DISTINGUISHED SERVICE TO THE CANADIAN FORCES MILITARY POLICE BRANCH, THE CAF AND CANADA, MAJ TERRY LANGS WILL RETIRE AND TRANSITION INTO A NEW CAREER AS A HOUSE HUSBAND.
2. ORIGINALLY FROM LEAMINGTON, ONTARIO, MAJ LANGS ENROLLED INTO THE CAF IN JUN 1980 AND ATTENDED THE ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OF CANADA. IN 1984, HE GRADUATED WITH A BA IN ECONOMICS AND WAS POSTED TO CFB NORTH BAY ON OJT BEFORE BEING POSTED TO SSF 2 SERVICE BATTALION SUPPLY COMPANY IN PETAWAWA AS THE MATERIAL CONTROL OFFICER. IN 1986, HE WAS POSTED TO A FIELD POSITION WHERE HE WAS APPOINTED THE PLATOON COMMANDER OF THE COMBAT SUPPLIES PLATOON AND THE MOBILE LANDRY AND BATH PLATOON. IN 1988, HE ACCEPTED A YEAR LONG POSTING TO THE UNITED NATIONS DISENGAGEMENT OBSERVER FORCE (TF GOLAN) AS THE FORCE SUPPLY OFFICER. DURING THE FOLLOWING APS, HE ASSUMED THE DUTIES OF THE REGIMENTAL QUARTERMASTER IN 1 CANADIAN SIGNALS REGIMENT, WHICH WAS ONE OF HIS MOST REWARDING POSTINGS. IN 1992, HE DECIDED TO MAKE A CAREER CHANGE AND RECLASSIFIED TO THE MILITARY POLICE.
3. UPON COMPLETION OF HIS BASIC SECURITY OFFICER COURSE, HE WAS SENT TO CFB KINGSTON AS THE DEPUTY BASE SECURITY OFFICER UNTIL THE FOLLOWING APS WHERE HE ASSUMED THE POSITION OF THE DEPUTY WING SECURITY OFFCIER AT 7 WING, CFB OTTAWA (UPLANDS). DURING HIS ONE YEAR POSTING, HE COMPLETED THE CANADIAN LAND STAFF COLLEGE COURSE IN KINGSTON. IN 1994, HE WAS POSTED BACK TO SSF 2 SERVICE BATTALION AS THE CO OF 2 MP PLATOON. DURING HIS TIME IN 2 MP PLATOON, HE DEPLOYED TO BOSNIA HERZEGOVINA (OP ALLIANCE) AS PART OF ROTO 0 IFOR. IN 1996, HE WAS POSTED TO DGSAMP J3 MP IN OTTAWA BEFORE BEING LOADED ON A YEAR LONG FRENCH COURSE. AFTER SUCCESSFULLY ATTAINING HIS B SCORES, HE DID A SHORT STINT WITH DITSEC (TODAY’S DIM SECUR). UPON PROMOTION TO MAJOR IN 1999, MAJ LANGS WAS POSTED TO DG INT AS THE OIC OF SECURITY INTELLIGENCE. AFTER THREE YEARS, HE MADE HIS RETURN TO THE RCAF AND BECAME THE 8 WING PROVOST MARSHAL IN TRENTON FROM 2002-2006. DURING THIS TIME, HE COMPLETED TWO TOURS IN AFGHANISTAN (OP APOLLO AND OP ATHENA). IN 2006, HE WAS POSTED BACK TO DG INT WHERE HE ASSUMED THE POSITION OF J2X COUNTER INTELLIGENCE. THEREAFTER, HE WAS SECONDED TO THE DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS IN 2009 AND ASSUMED THE POSITION OF THE COMMANDING OFFICER OF THE MILITARY POLICE SECURITY SERVICE. AFTER TRAVELLING MUCH OF THE GLOBE FOR THREE YEARS, IT WAS TIME TO PAY HIS PENANCE, AND HE WAS POSTED TO CF MP GP HQ, WHERE HE ASSUMED THE POSITION OF DPM POLICE AND SECURITY IN 2012. IN MARCH 2015, HE WAS POSTED TO TF EL GORAH (OP CALUMET) IN THE SINAI AS THE TF PROVOST MARSHAL FOR THE MULTINATIAL FORCE OBSERVERS. AFTER 15 MONTHS, HE RETURNED HOME AND ASSUMED HIS CURRENT POSITION AS CF MP GP/DCOS OPS.
4. FOLLOWING HIS RETIREMENT, MAJ LANGS WILL BE REMAINING IN THE OTTAWA AREA WITH HIS LOVELY WIFE JOANNE, AND HIS TWO DAUGHTERS: SARAH AND JORDYN.
5. AT HIS REQUEST, A SMALL DEPART WITH DIGNITY FUNCTION (COFFEE AND DONUTS) WILL BE HELD ON THE MORNING OF 9 DEC 16 IN ROOM S147 AT CJOC, 1600 STAR TOP ROAD, OTTAWA.
6. CONGRATULATORY MESSAGES, ANECDOTES, STORIES, AND PHOTOS ARE MORE THAN WELCOME AND MAY BE SENT TO MAJ DE CAMPBELL AT email@example.com. ADDRESSEES ARE REQUESTED TO GIVE THIS MESSAGE THE WIDEST POSSIBLE DISTRIBUTION THROUGHOUT THEIR ORGANIZATION.
LCol Adam Battista, CWO Crystal Krammer, and all members of the Canadian Forces Military Police Academy (CFMPA) would like to cordially invite all distinguished MP Veterans to a Day of Remembrance Ceremony on Friday, November 4, 2016.
This ceremony will bring the Staff and Students together with our Veterans and former members to pay their respects and remember those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice while serving with the C Pro C, RCAF Service Police, RCAF Police, RCN Shore Patrol, RCN Police, and Canadian Military Police.
Those wishing to attend should arrive at 1015 hrs, 4 November 2016 at the main entrance of the Col Stone Building (538 Cambrai Rd, Borden Ontario) adjacent to the cenotaph. Guests should be seated no later than 1040 hrs. There will be a seating area for honoured veterans and or former members not wishing or unable to parade.
After the ceremony, all attendees are invited to attend The Thunderbird Centre, inside the Col Stone Bldg to enjoy a warm snack and beverages with past colleagues, staff, and students.
We’re just learning of the recent passing of a former member of the MP Branch.
Sgt (Ret’d) Kim Marshall, a 30-year veteran of the Canadian Forces who retired in 2003, passed away recently after a long illness. During his career, Kim served at a variety of locations, including 2 MP PL Petawawa, as well as the Ottawa SIU Section in 1990, and CFB Winnipeg where he retired.
The obituary, provided to CMPA by a friend of Kim’s, reads as follows:
To all of you who know and love Kim, it is with deep sadness that I post this message. Our beloved Kim passed yesterday evening at home. With his family surrounding him Kim took his last breath and peacefully slipped away.
Kim fought long and hard these past 10 months overcoming incredible obstacles with grace and humour and a warrior’s spirit. Kim lived the code of Bushido to the end. In every sense a true warrior, Kim was the embodiment of bushido values: Loyalty, courage, honesty, compassion, honour and a profound respect for life. He faced death calmly and with courage.
A service was held for Sgt(Ret'd) Marshall on 8 October 2016 at St. Luke's Aglican Church in Winnipeg.
8 October 1993
The first United Nations MP Platoon in Bosnia-Hercegovina was inaugurated.
The UN MP Platoon included 6 Canadian MP, who were responsible for war crimes investigations within the Bosnian theatre.
6 October 1986
Amendments to the National Defence Act were proclaimed that brought various orders and regulations into line with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. This would have a major impact on how MP conduct investigations.
“Thunderbird lives at Kunwaas, not far from Qalogwis. He is chief of the village of the birds and is the only one who owns a salmon trap. But his salmon are the killer whales, the only fish big enough for mighty Thunderbird. Not only does he catch them with his traps, but with his spears which are lightning bolts. He sits on top of his pole as does the Tsimshiam fisherman at his weir. As well as whale, he catches the double headed serpent which is a menace to the tribe. Thus, he keeps men from evil and, as he sits upon his pole, he can meditate on the ways of the lower-world and remember all that has passed since before the world began. He is the wisest of birds and the strongest”.
(As published in The Thunderbird Journal, Winter 1982)