1. AFTER 31 YEARS OF LOYAL AND DEDICATED SERVICE TO THE CAF AND MP BRANCH MWO RON SCOFFIELD WILL RETIRE ON 28 FEB 2017.
2. MWO SCOFFIELD JOINED THE CAF IN 1985 IN EDMONTON, AB, AS AN INFANTRYMAN AND REMUSTERED TO MP IN 1991. HE WAS POSTED TO PETAWAWA, GAGETOWN, HALIFAX, COLD LAKE, GOOSE BAY, CFNIS AR, MP GP HQ OTTAWA, AND FINALLY MPU HALIFAX. DURING HIS CAREER HE DEPLOYED TO CENTRAL AMERICA, AVIANO, GOLAN HEIGHTS, CYPRUS, KUWAIT, AND TO THE OKA CRISIS AND QUEBEC ICE STORM
3. MWO SCOFFIELD ALONG WITH HIS WIFE ANN AND CHILDREN REBECCA AND CHRIS WILL REMAIN IN THE HALIFAX AREA WHERE RON WILL ENJOY SPENDING TIME WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS.
4. MWO SCOFFIELD WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL THOSE WHO HAVE SUPPORTED HIM DURING HIS CAREER, AND IS GRATEFUL TO HAVE WORKED WITH SO MANY EXCEPTIONAL PEOPLE AND TO HAVE MADE MANY VALUED FRIENDS. AT RON’S REQUEST THERE WILL NOT BE A DWD CEREMONY. CONGRATULATORY MESSAGES CAN BE FORWARDED TO WO FORGET AT JASON.FORGET@FORCES.GC.CA.
1. AFTER OVER 36 YEARS OF LOYAL AND DEDICATED SERVICE TO THE CANADIAN ARMED FORCES AND THE THE MILITARY POLICE BRANCH, CAPT RAYMOND KING WILL RETIRE ON 16 JAN 2017.
2. CAPT KING ENROLLED 2 OCT 1980 AND COMPLETED BASIC AND TRADES TRAINING AT CFB CORNWALLIS AND CFB BORDEN. HE HAS SINCE SERVED WITH DISTINCTION ACROSS CANADA AND THE WORLD AT LOCATIONS SUCH AS CFB GANDER, CFB PETAWAWA, CANADIAN FORCES EUROPE (LAHR, GERMANY), CFB HALIFAX, CFB BORDEN AND CFB ESQUIMALT. HE PARTICIPATED IN SEVERAL MAJOR EXERCISES (RV 83, 85 AND 87), AND DEPLOYED TO CYPRUS (UNFICYP) IN 1986, TO THE GOLAN HEIGHTS (UNDOF) IN 1999, TO BOSNIA IN 2004-05 AS PART OF THE JOINT INTERNATIONAL OPERATIONS CENTRE AND THE EUROPEAN SECURITY DEFENCE POSTURE.
3. CAPT KING WAS TO BE PROMOTED TO CWO IN 2008, BUT DECIDED ON THE SPECIAL COMMISSIONING PLAN WITH DEGREE. HE THEN SERVED WITH DISTINCTION AS THE DCMDT CFMPA, PL COMD IPSC, MP RECRUITER/BASIC TRAINING LIST COORD, AND THE CFB BORDEN DEPUTY BASE OPS OFFICER, PLANS OFFICER AND FORCE PROTECTION OFFICER. CAPT KING WAS ALSO APPOINTED THE MP CREDENTIALS REVIEW BOARD AND WILL RETIRE AS THE DCO MPU BORDEN.
4. CAPT KING HAS EARNED SEVERAL COMMENDATIONS OVER HIS CAREER. HE WAS PRESENTED SERVICE PERSON OF THE QUARTER AND THE SERVICE PERSON OF THE YEAR AWARDS IN 1983, THE FORMATION ADMINISTRATION OFFICER SERVICEPERSON OF THE QUARTER AWARD IN 1997, AND THE MARITIME FORCES ATLANTIC FORMATION COMMENDATION IN 1998 FOR HIS EFFORTS DUIRNG THE SWISS AIR DISASTER (OP PERSISTENCE). HE WAS APPOINTED TO THE ORDER OF MILITARY MERIT IN 2011, AND AWARDED THE COMD CFB BORDEN COMMENDATION IN 2012 AND CMP COMMENDATION IN 2013.
5. CAPT KING WILL REMAIN IN THE BORDEN AREA. WHILE HE HAS REQUESTED NO FORMAL DEPART WITH DIGNITY CEREMONY, A RETIREMENT BOOK WILL BE PREPARED ON HIS BEHALF. PLEASE FORWARD CONGRATULATORY MESSAGES, ANECDOTES, AND PHOTOS TO MAJ D LEMIRE AT DARREN.LEMIRE@FORCES.GC.CA OR MWO C PELLETIER AT CLAUDE.PELLETIER@FORCES.GC.CA .
On 27 October 2016, while attending a course at the Toronto Police College, MCpl Charlesworth, a member of the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service (CFNIS) was informed that his wife Vanessa had been diagnosed with Leukemia. MCpl Charlesworth immediately returned to Ottawa and met Vanessa at the hospital where she had been admitted and commenced her radiation therapy.
Interested in helping, LS McLachlan reached out to the family to determine what could be done. MCpl Charlesworth and Vanessa, were extremely appreciative and indicated that blood donations would be best as Vanessa will require a large quantity of blood in her fight against Leukemia.
In order to show our support for Vanessa, members of the CFNIS as well as MCpl Charlesworth’s classmates from the Toronto Police Service and the York Regional Police Service will be donating blood through the Canadian Blood Bank Services in their local area.
If you are interested in assisting, you can join the CFNIS during the afternoon of 26 January 2017 at Ottawa Blood Donor Centre, 1575 Carling Avenue, Ottawa.
If you are interested please contact LS McLachlan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you recall from our post on our Facebook page last week, we have received numerous complaints about the significant delays in obtaining retirement gifts (the shadow boxes). As you know, the CMPA does not produce these shadow boxes ourselves, they are outsourced from a 3rd party. Unfortunately, we had significant supply chain problems throughout 2016, which forced us to take some drastic actions behind the scenes to make it right.
A shipment was received from our new supplier a week before the Christmas block leave period started. However, despite good intentions to get these shipped out, the "real world" intervened and shipments were unavoidably delayed. I'm sure all of you understand what happens when unexpected military priorities throw a monkey wrench into the works.
Those of you that have been patiently waiting for these shadow boxes can rest assured that they should be in the mail this week.
Along with a new and more reliable 3rd party vendor, we are also convening a Special Executive meeting on 23 Jan 17 in order to refine our retirement gift process to better serve our members.
1. AFTER 30 YEARS OF LOYAL AND DEDICATED SERVICE TO CANADA, THE CAF AND THE MILITARY POLICE BRANCH, WO ROD JACKSON WILL MEDICALLY RELEASE ON 8 FEB 17.
2. ROD ENROLLED IN THE CF ON 15 DEC 86, AND AFTER COMPLETING BASIC TRAINING IN CORNWALLIS, NOVA SCOTIA, HE SPENT THE NEXT THREE DECADES AT NDHQ OTTAWA, 2MP PL PETAWAWA, 17 WG WPG, 1 CDN AIR DIV WPG, CFNCIU TORONTO, 2MPU HQ TORONTO, CFMPA, AND FINALLY JPSU. WHILE AT THESE POSTINGS ROD SHARED HIS PASSION FOR COOKING, CORVETTES, GOLF, AS WELL AS THE BENEFITS OF EARLY HOME OWNERSHIP AND WISE FINANCIAL PLANNING. AS AN MP, ROD WAS INSTRUMENTAL IN MAKING THE MP BRANCH A HAPPIER PLACE TO BE SPENDING MANY OF HIS YEARS ON “THE PLAN”, A UNIQUE SKILL SET LEARNED FROM HIS LONG TIME CFNCIU COMRADES, WARRANTS (RETIRED) GORD FEARN AND GINO DINARDO.
3. DURING HIS CAREER ROD PARTICIPATED IN NUMEROUS DEPLOYMENTS IN CANADA AND ABROAD INCLUDING BOSNIA (94), IPPERWASH (95), WINNIPEG FLOOD (97), QUEBEC ICE STORM (98), THE MIDDLE EAST (02), AND WITH CANSOFCOM AFGHANISTAN IN 2008. ROD NOTES THAT ONE OF THE HIGHLIGHTS OF HIS CAREER WAS BEING ATTACHED TO THE AIR MARSHAL UNIT THROUGH HIS POSITION AT 1 CDN AIR DIV WHERE HE HAD THE PLEASURE OF TRAVELLING TO CHINA, ENGLAND, INDIA, NORWAY, PAKISTAN, RUSSIA AND THAILAND TO NAME JUST A FEW. ALWAYS A FRIENDLY AND INSIGHTFUL INDIVIDUAL ROD RECEIVED THE COVETED PRESIDENT HAMID KHARZAI COMMENDATION IN 2009 FOR HIS WORK IN DESIGNING NEW BERETS FOR THE AFGHAN NATIONAL ARMY. SPEAKING OF BERETS, ROD IS WELL KNOWN AND WILL BE REMEMBERED BY THE TRADE AS BEING THE TRAIL BLAZER WHO PUSHED FOR AIR FORCE MPS BEING ABLE TO WEAR THE RED BERET WITH DEU 1A DURING SPECIAL OCCASSIONS. THIS IS AN ACCOMPLISHMENT THAT HE AND MANY OF HIS FELLOW AIR FORCE MPS ARE VERY VERY PROUD OF.
4. ROD HAS PURCHASED A BEAUTIFUL NEW DREAM HOME IN TOTTENHAM, ONTARIO WHERE HE WILL RETIRE WITH HIS LOVELY WIFE CATHERINE AND LOYAL CAT CHUBBERS. THERE HE PLANS TO SMOKE AS MANY CIGARS AND DRINK AS MUCH $300 A BOTTLE SCOTCH AS HIS CARDIOLOGIST WILL ALLOW AND MAKE COOKING VIDEOS FOR HIS FACEBOOK PAGE UNDER HIS NEW ACRONYM “WARRANT JACKSON – THE CULINARY ASSASSIN.” DURING THE WINTER MONTHS HE WILL BE FOUND HOSTING CELEBRITY GUESTS OVER FOR A FEW BEERS IN THE CFNCIU HOT TUB TIME MACHINE, AND DURING THE SUMMER HE AND CATHERINE WILL BE FOUND IN MYRTLE BEACH, SOUTH CAROLINA, AKA, THE GOLF CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.
5. IT’S WITH A TINY BIT OF SADNESS THAT ROD DEPARTS THE TRADE AFTER HAVING BEEN OFFERED HIS MWO’S TWICE OVER THE PAST 2 YEARS BUT HAVING TO DECLINE REALIZING THAT HIS HEALTH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE. ROD LEAVES WITH THE KNOWLEDGE (AND HIS CARDIOLOGIST’S ADVICE) THAT HIS HEALTH WILL IMPROVE ONCE HE’S ON THE GOLF COURSE FULL TIME AND AWAY FROM THE STRESSES OF THE CF. A DWD FAREWELL LUNCHEON WILL BE HELD AT THE VICE REGAL ROOM, CFB BORDEN OFFICERS MESS AT 1130 HRS, FRIDAY, 03 FEB 17. THOSE WISHING TO ATTEND OR SEND BEST WISHES OR ANECDOTES ARE TO CONTACT WO DON SCANDRETT AT email@example.com.
“Thunderbird lives with the other spirits in heaven and works with them to control the affairs of men. His thunder and lightning warn of the death of a member of his sign and Killerwhale called ‘Spouting-at-Mouth-of-River’ comes to take away a dead person. He takes him aboard a small canoe, which then becomes a killer whale. The dead one is told to spout, and if he does he goes to heaven with Thunderbird and Killerwhale. If he does not, he is taken back to his grave and left there”.
(As published in The Thunderbird Journal, Autumn 1983)